Assistant Professor, Computer Networking & Information Technology (CNIT)
The University of Wisconsin-Stout, Wisconsin's Polytechnic University, invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor in Computer Networking & Information Technology (CNIT). The anticipated start date for this position is August 22, 2022.
Since October 6, 2017 University of Wisconsin-Stout has been designated a National Center of Academic Excellence (CAE) in Cyber Defense for academic years 2017-2022 by the National Security Agency (NSA) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).
UW-Stout is the first four-year university to receive this designation in the state of Wisconsin. The NSA and DHS have certified that UW-Stout’s CNIT curriculum meets or exceeds the requirements for CAE designation, as cited by the National Information Assurance Education and Training Program (NIETP).
Recently, the CNIT program was awarded Department of Defense Cybersecurity grants to support cybersecurity curricula development and cybersecurity capacity building. CNIT students have repeatedly won recognition for their IT and security skills in national and international competitions.
We are seeking a team member that is passionate and committed to promoting the development of an equitable and inclusive environment.
Minimum / Required
- ABD (All But Dissertation) in IT or related discipline by appointment start date with a majority of coursework in CNIT; which when completed, will lead to the qualifications necessary for tenure and promotion.
- 2 years of industry experience with installation, implementation and troubleshooting networking equipment
- 1 year of demonstrated teaching experience in an academic or industry setting
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively
- Interest in advancing student learning in area of Information Technology
- Demonstrated success working with diverse stakeholders
- Earned Doctoral degree in IT discipline with a majority of coursework in CNIT
- Demonstrated knowledge or technical experience related to IT and cybersecurity
- Current industry-recognized certification(s) within the field of IT and cybersecurity
- Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) Certification
- Cisco Certified Instructor
- Undergraduate and/or graduate teaching experience
- Online teaching experience
- Record of research publication(s) in information technology and cybersecurity
- Demonstrated intercultural competence and the impact on the student experience
- Demonstrated experience in establishing a climate that embraces equity, diversity, and inclusion.
Teach undergraduate and graduate courses, especially those supporting the BS CNIT, BS ICT and MS ICT programs. Conduct and disseminate research related to the IT profession. Engage in service to the university and the profession. Full-time teaching load is 12 credits per semester.
Provide student academic advisement and conduct assessment of student learning. This includes contributing to academic program assessment and continuous improvement processes, in collaboration with faculty and staff.
Other responsibilities include: Facilitate online and face-to-face learning environments; engage in interdisciplinary endeavors with campus colleagues; maintain partnerships with industry; lead continuous learning and development in the IT field; perform service as determined by the department; teach undergraduate and graduate students; engage in course and program assessment of student learning; foster cultural diversity and global awareness.
UW-Stout’s Mathematics, Statistics, and Computer Science Department and Computer Networking and Information Technology program are committed to creating an inclusive campus community. Candidates who have experience working collaboratively with diverse individuals and/or groups and who can contribute to fostering an inclusive environment are encouraged to identify their experience in these areas.
University of Wisconsin-Stout prepares lifelong learners, ethical leaders and responsible citizens in an equitable, inclusive, and sustainable environment through collaborative career-focused programs that integrate applied learning, theory and research. UW-Stout is committed to developing an inclusive community that fosters a rich, dynamic, and collaborative environment in which to work and grow, celebrating the diversity of individual perspectives and experiences.
A member of the University of Wisconsin system, UW-Stout is unique within the University of Wisconsin System--it is named after its founder, James Huff Stout, and holds the distinction of being Wisconsin’s Polytechnic University, a designation which highlights our combination of applied learning, real-world experiences, and an integrated liberal arts foundation.
UW-Stout offers 47 undergraduate and 23 graduate degrees, including 21 masters and 2 advanced degrees. The current enrollment is approximately 8,000 students.
UW-Stout is committed to investing in and ensuring access to equitable, diverse, and inclusive learning, student living, and work environments that reflect our regional and global connections.
The UW-Stout campus community enjoys opportunities for cross-disciplinary collaboration, state-of-the-art facilities, and a modern digital environment. UW-Stout values innovative approaches to solving problems in society and industry and encourages collaboration within and across disciplines and professions.
The university is on a beautiful campus in Menomonie, situated in western Wisconsin, 60 minutes east of Minneapolis-St. Paul on Interstate 94. Located in the scenic Chippewa Valley region with a population base of more than 200,000, Menomonie is a city of more than 16,400, surrounded by lakes, streams, and woodlands. For more information about the UW-Stout community and region visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/our-community
Facts and data about the university: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/meet-our-leadership/institutional-accreditation/fact-book
Competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. The UW System provides an excellent benefits package including participation in the Wisconsin State retirement plan.
• Benefit Details: http://www.uwsa.edu/ohrwd/benefits/summaries/fasl.pdf
• Total Compensation Estimator: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/totalcomp/
All qualified candidates meeting application requirements will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, UW-Stout welcomes applications from individuals from diverse groups; veterans, individuals with disabilities and from historically excluded populations. UW-Stout provides equal opportunity to all persons and is committed to inclusive excellence. At UW-Stout we value our differences and welcome diverse perspectives as we continually commit to developing an inclusive and equitable environment for all employees and students.
Employment is contingent upon the final candidate’s completing a criminal background check and being cleared to work by the Human Resources team. Employment is also contingent upon the final candidate passing a reference check process. The reference check process includes asking the final candidate and most recent supervisor questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment. Final candidates with previous employment within the UW System and State of WI agencies will be subject to additional reference checks.
Official transcripts required at time of hire.
A successful candidate must have authorization to work within the United States as required by the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986. If you have questions regarding this, please contact our Human Resources office, Phone: 715.232.2149.
In response to a public records request, the University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in their online application, except that the identity of the successful final candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
UW-Stout is committed to providing safety and security of all members of our community in accordance with the Clery Act. For campus safety information and crime statistics visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/life-stout/police-and-parking/clery-information
Applicants will need to complete all required fields and attach all required documents prior to submitting the online application.
Note: Once you have attached your materials and submitted your application you will not be able to go into the system and change them.
Required application materials:
- Cover letter specifically addressing how you meet the minimum / required and preferred qualifications
- Curriculum Vitae
- Inclusivity Statement: Equity, diversity and inclusion are important to the mission of UW-Stout. Provide a one-page statement demonstrating your commitment to inclusivity. This can include past/present work, volunteer and lived experience, and how you envision carrying that experience into your work at UW-Stout.
- Names and contact information for a minimum of three (3) professional references, please include someone in a supervisory capacity and someone you have collaborated with
- Unofficial copies of transcripts; official transcripts required at time of hire
To ensure consideration, complete applications must be submitted online by February 28, 2022. Applications submitted after 2/28th may be reviewed until the position is filled.
It is the policy of UW-Stout to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance, or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact us using the information below. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodation for a qualified individual's disability.
Before starting the online application process, we recommend you preview the frequently asked questions (FAQs) available at: https://kb.uwss.wisconsin.edu/21900
For questions regarding this position or recruitment, please contact:
- Search Chair: Dr. Tyler W Thomas
- Email: email@example.com
If you need assistance with the online application process or if you submitted your application prior to uploading the required application materials, please contact:
- Search Coordinator: Judy Darwin
- Phone: 715-232-2308
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Family: Teaching